Dr. Brian Shiu specializes in the comprehensive care of shoulder, elbow, and sports medicine conditions. His practice is dedicated to improving the quality of life of his patients using nonsurgical and surgical methods. Dr. Shiu offers arthroscopic, reconstructive, replacement, and minimally invasive techniques. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
A native of Maryland, Dr. Shiu received his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine, where he was also received the Thomas Gillespie Award for Excellence in Orthopaedics. He completed his residency training at the University of Maryland Medical Center including time at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Shiu was then selected for a fellowship at Columbia University’s Center for Shoulder, Elbow, and Sports Medicine in New York City.
During his orthopaedic training, he has assisted in the medical care of athletes from Columbia University, New York Yankees, and Rockland Boulders baseball teams as well as local high school teams in Maryland.
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Dislocated Shoulder
- Arthritis of the Shoulder
- Frozen Shoulder
- Shoulder Impingement/Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
- Shoulder Joint Tear (Glenoid Labrum Tear)
- SLAP Tears
- Shoulder Trauma (Fractures and Dislocations)
- Shoulder Separation
- Biceps Tendon Tear at the Shoulder
- Shoulder Injuries in the Throwing Athlete
- Biceps Tendon Tear at the Elbow
- Radial Head Fractures of the Elbow
- Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome)
- Osteoarthritis of the Elbow
- Total Elbow Replacement
- Distal Humerus Fractures of the Elbow
- Recurrent and Chronic Elbow Instability
- Elbow Dislocation
- Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
- Elbow Fractures in Children
- Throwing Injuries in the Elbow in Children
Publications & Accomplishments:
Dr. Shiu has co-authored numerous scientific articles, book chapters, and scientific exhibits with the goal of improving the quality of orthopaedic care. He has presented his work both nationally and internationally. Dr. Shiu is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and the Maryland Orthopaedic Association.
Education and Training:
- Fellowship: Columbia University / New York Presbyterian Hospital, Shoulder Elbow and Sports Medicine
- Residency: University of Maryland Medical Center, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School: University of Maryland School of Medicine